What is crowdfunding for UVU?
- Crowdfunding is the practice of sourcing small contributions from a large number of people to provide funding for a particular project or campaign, usually via the Internet. Crowdfunding for UVU is an online fundraising tool created by Utah Valley University that allows campus colleges, departments, intramurals and clubs to create and share fundraising campaigns with an engaged community. This crowdfunding platform empowers the entire community to come together and create lasting impact on projects they may be interested in or care about.
How does crowdfunding for UVU work?
- Selected UVU students, faculty, and staff have created separate fundraising campaigns for a particular project with a specific funding goal and project completion timeline. Supporters can contribute to a project financially and are encouraged to share the project donation opportunity with their own community and social network.
- Utah Valley University is currently the largest University in the state of Utah with over 40,000 students and utilizes a dual-mission model, which combines community college accessibility with university rigor. UVU has grown with its student body, the expansion of its mission, its commitment to excellence, and the needs of its community for highly educated, technically proficient graduates in the workforce.
- Although UVU receives funding from the state of Utah, we depend on the generosity of donors to fund important educational priorities. Donors can contribute to scholarships, new facilities, professorships, special acquisitions, equipment purchases, special programs, or a specific college or department.
Below are a few examples of why our generous donors invest in the University:
- You want to help current and future UVU students have similar experiences and opportunities like the ones that opened doors for you.
- You wish to strengthen the university’s academic initiatives or are interested in a particular program and want to see it grow and succeed.
- You have an investment in the community, and you recognize how Utah Valley University enhances the quality of life in Utah by educating a large portion of the local workforce.
- You want to increase UVU’s student involvement, scholarships and faculty development.
- Did you know?
- The U.S. News and World Report takes alumni giving into account each year when ranking institutions of higher learning. The greater the number of alumni gifts, the higher Utah Valley University ranks in The U.S. News and World Report. This makes obtaining a UVU degree more valuable to our students.
How do I contribute to a project on the UVU Crowdfunding site?
- Select the project that interests you on our home page to learn more about it. Click “Make a Donation” at which point you’ll be asked for a contribution amount and credit card information. You can also contribute by telling your friends and family about a project that you are interested in, or by spreading the word across your social networks. Please add #GiveUVU to any social media posting so we can be easily found along with the web link to direct your crowd to!
Are contributions to UVU tax-deductible?
- Yes, your contribution is a gift made to the UVU Foundation and is tax-deductible as allowed by law. After making a gift you will receive a confirmation email that serves as your receipt for tax purposes. Funds contributed are then transferred from the UVU Foundation to the University for use by the specified project.
Who can contribute to a UVU Crowdfunding campaign?
- Anyone! Contributions to any of the opportunities listed on our home page can be made by any individual or organization inside or outside of UVU’s community.
Is my contribution amount publicly displayed?
- Unless you choose to give anonymously, your name will be displayed as part of the campaign’s community of supporters. However, your contribution amount will not be publicly displayed.
Can I request to make an anonymous contribution?
- Yes, you will be able to indicate when making your contribution payment that you would like to remain anonymous.
What methods of payment does UVU Crowdfunding accept?
- All credit card types (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover) are acceptable forms of payment.
Can my company match my gift to UVU?
- Absolutely! To see if your company matches donations, visit our Matching Gifts website. Make your gift, then complete your company’s matching form and follow your company’s matching procedures. Submit the matching gift form to Vicky.Hopper@uvu.edu to ensure the gift is properly received and transferred to the project of your choice.
If I contribute to a project, when is my credit card charged?
- Immediately upon making the donation.
Is my payment secure?
- Yes. The UVU Crowdfunding website utilizes a technology that is PCI Level 1 compliant.
Does UVU Crowdfunding store my credit card payment information?
- No, UVU Crowdfunding does not store, nor are we able to access any payment or credit card information. Additionally, the information collected on the UVU Crowdfunding website will be used only by Utah Valley University and will not be shared.
How is my contact information used?
- Your contact information is required to process your credit card payment. Campaign managers receive your name and email address so they may send you a thank you message for your gift. In addition, UVU may use your contact information to provide updates on the campaigns to which you have contributed as well as similar or other active campaigns at UVU.
Is there a minimum or maximum amount I can contribute?
- Yes, there is a $1 minimum contribution amount required. There is no maximum amount and you can also make multiple contributions to multiple projects.
Can I make a monthly (recurring gift)?
- Of course! To make a recurring, or perpetual, gift, or to find out more information, please visit our giving page and either choose one of the listed opportunities or choose “Other” and list the crowdfunding project you are supporting. You may alter or cancel your recurring gift at any time.
Where should I give?
- You are encouraged to support your passion by choosing from one of our many listed campaigns. However, we always encourage donating to the UVU Annual Fund, as it is a critical source of unrestricted support that allows the University to put your gift to use where the need is greatest.
How else can I support UVU?
- In addition to your generous gift, we encourage you to spread the word on social media by using our #GiveUVU and any hashtags listed on the project you are interested in. Also follow UVU Impact on Facebook for updates on latest developments at Utah Valley University.
What other ways can I get involved?
- There are many ways in which to become involved at UVU. Visit our Center for Social Impact for more information on ways to make a difference.
Can I share that I contributed to a project through my social media accounts?
- Yes, please do! You can share the campaign directly using the “Share This Campaign” feature on each campaign project page. There is also a button on the UVU Crowdfunding site thank you page that you will see after a contribution is given that will allow you to share your contribution with your own social networks.
How do I know what percentage of the money goes to the project?
- 100% of the funds raised will be used by the project to which you have contributed for the project tasks and related expenses.
How will I know if and when the project has reached its funding goal?
- You are welcome to check back on the project page to look at the funding progress.
What happens if a project exceeds its specified funding goal?
- Should a project be fortunate enough to exceed its funding goal, the additional funds will be utilized to help the team reach any project stretch goals.
Are contributions returned if project does not reach its stated funding goal?
- No, even if the total funding goal is not reached, the project will use the funds raised toward obtaining their goals. If a fundraising goal is not reached using the UVU Crowdfunding platform, we will work with the project managers to review other avenues to reach their fundraising goals.
Can I ask questions about a project listed?
- Absolutely! You can submit questions using the “Ask a Question” link on each project page, or you may contact us by selecting “Contact Us”.
Project Team and Campaign Creator FAQs
How does UVU Crowdfunding work?
- The UVU Annual Giving Department will collaborate with the project manager or team indicated on the project application. The project manager or project managing team must review training materials and best practices for crowdfunding and understand the time commitment and effort required to run a crowdfunding campaign. They are responsible for developing the campaign with the assistance of the Annual Giving Department in the Office of Institutional Advancement.
Who can start a project using UVU Crowdfunding?
- All UVU students, faculty, and staff can apply to create and launch a campaign on the UVU Crowdfunding platform.
How do I apply to start a crowdfunding project?
- Complete the application on the “Apply” link.
Are there any rules or policies for launching a crowdfunding project?
- See the UVU Crowdfunding Procedures. Please note, it can take up to two months for a campaign to go from the application process to official launch.
How and when does my project get approved?
- It is suggested that you submit your application three months prior to preferred launch date. Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by the Annual Giving department for compliance, relativity, and feasibility within two weeks of submission. The timeline from application to going live for each project application varies, as other projects will be taken into account for feasibility. A representative from Annual Giving will reach out to the applicant with any questions or concerns. Applications are not automatically guaranteed a position on the crowdfunding board. Applicants should complete a Crowdfunding Campaign Development Packet, which helps applicants define the campaign details.
What is the timeline of a crowdfunding campaign?
- A crowdfunding campaign generally lasts one-to-four weeks, depending on the goals set by the project manager(s). However, the actual time period dedicated to a crowdfunding campaign can generally be expected to be around 2 to 3 months. Crowdfunding entails a large preparation period, as well as a stewardship component following the completion of the active campaign.
How can I increase the chance that my project will meet its fundraising goal?
- One of the key components of a successful crowdfunding campaign is a solid marketing strategy. Completing the Crowdfunding Campaign Development Packet can help you develop a strategy to raise the funds you need. We ask that you review and complete these documents in preparation for your campaign.
Who should I market to?
- A crowdfunding campaign must target a specific audience. An audience should be large enough that the campaign’s goals can be met but also focused enough that the potential donors will have at least some interest in the project. A good rule of thumb – only about 20% of the page views your campaign can expect will come from individuals outside of your original audience. The size and relevance of the original audience is vastly important to the success of any campaign.
How does a project receive its funding?
- The project teams work with the sponsoring department’s budget coordinator to access money raised through a separate university spending account set up specifically for their project at the onset of the campaign. Funds will be transferred from the UVU Foundation to the University Index requested on the application once the campaign has finished. The project teams will be able to access these funds through a separate University spending account set up specifically for their project once the funding period has ended.
When will a project receive funds?
- Projects will receive their funds once their campaign has ended (typical 30-45 days from the launch date of the campaign).
If I have a project idea but am not sure if I should apply, what should I do?
- Contact Vicky Hopper, Assistant Director of Annual Giving (Vicky.Hopper@uvu.edu), to discuss your idea(s) and campaign options.